Other Books in Series
This is book number 3 in the Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery series.
- #1: What Angels Fear: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery (Mass Market): $8.99
- #2: When Gods Die: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery (Mass Market): $8.79
- #4: Where Serpents Sleep: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery (Mass Market): $8.99
- #5: What Remains of Heaven: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery (Paperback): $16.50
- #6: Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #6) (Mass Market): $8.79
- #7: When Maidens Mourn: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery (Mass Market): $8.79
- #8: What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #8) (Mass Market): $9.89
- #9: Why Kings Confess (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #9) (Mass Market): $8.79
- #10: Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #10) (Mass Market): $8.79
- #11: When Falcons Fall (Hardcover): $25.95
- #12: Where the Dead Lie (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #12) (Paperback): $18.70
- #13: Why Kill the Innocent (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #13) (Paperback): $18.70
- #14: Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #14) (Paperback): $18.70
- #15: Who Speaks for the Damned (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #15) (Paperback): $17.00
- #16: What the Devil Knows (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #16) (Paperback): $17.00
- #17: When Blood Lies (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #17) (Hardcover): $26.00
- #18: Who Cries for the Lost (Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery #18) (Hardcover): $28.00
It's September 1811, and someone is killing the wealthy young sons of London's most prominent families. Partially butchered, with strange objects stuffed into their mouths, their bodies are found dumped in public places at dawn.
When the grisly remains of Alfred, Lord Stanton's eldest son are discovered in the Old Palace Yard beside the House of Lords, the local magistrate turns to Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, for help.
Ranging from the gritty world of Thames-side docks to the luxurious drawing rooms of Mayfair, Sebastian finds himself confronting his most puzzling--and disturbing--case yet. With the help of his trusted allies--young servant Tom, Irish doctor Paul Gibson, and his lover Kat Boleyn--Sebastian struggles to decipher a cryptic set of clues that link the scion of a banking family to the son of a humble Kentish vicar.
For as one killing follows another, Sebastian discovers he is confronting a murderer with both a method and a purpose to his ritualized killings, and that the key to it all may lie in the enigmatic stanzas of a haunting poem...and in a secret so dangerous that men are willing to sacrifice their own children to keep the truth from becoming known.
About the Author
C.S. Harris graduated with a degree in Classics before earning a Ph.D. in European history. A scholar of the French Revolution and 19th-century Europe, she has lived in Europe and various far-flung parts of the old British Empire. She now lives in New Orleans with her husband, a retired Army Intelligence Officer, and two daughters.
Praise for the Sebastian St. Cyr Series
"Best historical thriller writer in the business! Sebastian St. Cyr is…uncannily clever, unwaveringly reserved, and irresistibly sexy. The entire series is simply elegant.”—New York Times bestselling author Lisa Gardner
“Deftly combines political intrigue, cleverly concealed clues and vivid characters.”—Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)
“A crescendo of suspense and surprise.”—Library Journal (Starred Review)
“Thoroughly enjoyable…kept me enthralled.”—Deanna Raybourn
“A ripping read...captivated me to the final page.”—Will Thomas
“Harris crafts her story with the threat of danger, hints of humor, vivid sex scenes, and a conclusion that will make your pulse race.”—The New Orleans Times-Picayune
“Harris delves deep into the mores of Regency England…”—Kirkus Reviews (Starred Review)